About Us » District History

District History

Historical Facts About Our District
 
  • The Fort Huachuca Accommodation Schools were established in 1956 by the Arizona State Legislature and is a coterminous school district located on the Fort Huachuca Military Reservation.
  • We are one of only seven independent/separate school districts within the United States located entirely on a military reservation and the only one in the state of Arizona.
  • The district does not have taxing authority (Cannot levy or generate funds from local property taxes), or bonding capacity to build or maintain buildings.
  • The district generates revenue from a combination of state aid and federal impact aid.
  • Arizona statute identified the County School Superintendent as the Governing Board for Arizona Accommodation schools. 
  • In 2009 a change in Arizona Law (ARS 15-465.01) modified the District governance to a 5-member Governing Board.   
  • The district consists of 3 schools serving students in grades K-8
    • Colonel Johnston Elementary serves students in grades kindergarten through second grade (K-2)
    • General Myer Elementary serves students in grades third through fifth (3-5)
    • Colonel Smith Middle School serving students in grades six through eight (6-8)